Robert Collins wrote:

> I'd try 64-bit sparc, ia-64 and amd-64 in 64 bit mode for comparison.

This is OS dependant.

All 64 bit Linux versions use the LP64 model where longs and
pointers are 64 bit. Solaris on UltraSparc does the same and I
haven't played with Solaris on amd-64 so I can't say. I have
heard of certain old school 64 bit Unices where long was 32
bits but I think they died out when Uninx98 or Posix whatever
decided that 64 bit unix should be LP64.

One of the odd ones out of course is win64, where both int
and long are 32 bits and pointers are 64 bits. Yep its nuts,
but it is m$.

Erik