On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 10:18:48PM +1300, Adam Bogacki wrote:
> > Tux:~# mount /dev/hdc /mnt/dvd
> > mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
> > mount: /dev/hdc: can't read superblock
>
>       I use my DVD drive to play CD's and also have a cdrw.

I had a weird problem with my laptop's DVD/CDRW drive, a while back, where
it could not read data CDs, but it had no problem with audio CDs or
DVDs. It could also burn CDs - and then, strangely, had no problem at
all reading them immediately afterwards (but it couldn't read them later
on, whereas other CD drives could).

I wasn't getting any mount error messages like yours, however - the
drive simply couldn't see the media, and didn't think anything was
inserted.

The problem turned out to be a dirty lens. After I wiped it with a
tissue, it worked perfectly.

Cheers,

Paul

--
Paul Dwerryhouse                                | PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584