Hi Jamie,

> So, do you have a PS/2 mouse or a USB mouse?

 .. it is a USB mouse using a PS/2 adapter which has
always been sucessfully configured as PS/2.

> Is your CorePointer now /dev/psaux or /dev/input/mice?

/dev/input/mice

> If it's USB mouse, does dmesg show the kernel recognising it when you
> plug it in?

In tty1 text mode it flashes by too quickly .. is there an appropriate
log file where I can use vi ?

Xie Xie, Simon.

> If you are using a USB mouse then you want the usbhid module (USB human
> interface device).  This should be loaded by hotplug automatically.
>
> That will create the /dev/input/mice device for you.

Tux:~# modprobe usbhid
FATAL:Module usbhid not found

.. which should not be a problem as it has always been successfully
configured as PS/2.

> The relevant part of my xorg.conf is:
>
>         Section "InputDevice"
>                 Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
>                 Driver          "mouse"
>                 Option          "CorePointer"
>                 Option          "Device"
>         "/dev/input/mice"
>                 Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
>                 Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
>                 Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
>         EndSection
>
> This was created by the Ubuntu installer.

I reproduced the above in my /etc/X11/corg.conf - I was not sure if
the position of "/dev/input/mice" was intentional or an email artifact
so I tried both - with the same result as before

> (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
>       No such device.
> (EE) Configured Mouse: cannot open input device
> (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Configured Mouse"
> (II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
> (WW) No core pointer registered
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Generic Keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)
> (EE) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
> No core pointer

> Fatal server error:
> failed to initialize core devices

I could not load the usbhid module, nor mousedev - I don't understand
why. This Debain unstable system has been pretty stable so far
apart from the occasional dist-upgrade - probably the reason for
having to work through this again.

Cheers,

Adam Bogacki,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]