Hi everyone,

Yesterday I wrote about two systems [1] [2] - nearly identical -
offered for sale by Twinhead Corporation. I have summarized again
below the differences between these systems.

[1] http://www.twinhead.com.au/product_detail.asp?productid=153
[2] http://www.twinhead.com.au/product_detail.asp?productid=154

efio 12KTL - $A1299
256MB DDR RAM, 40GB HDD
Internal DVD+CDRW Combo Drive
Abec LINUX Suite inclusive of Open Office Suite:
Spreadsheet, Word Processor, Presentation Programme

efio 12KT - $A1599
512MB DDR RAM, 60GB HDD
Internal DVDRW Dual Drive
Microsoft(r) Windows(r) XP Home Edition

Today I contacted Twinhead for the upgrade prices on the efio 12KTL:
    256MB DDR RAM -> 512MB DDR RAM: ~$A69
    40GB HDD -> 60GB HDD: $A99
    Internal DVD+CDRW Combo Drive -> Internal DVDRW Dual Drive: $A179

Thus, to upgrade the efio 12KTL to *identical* hardware specs as the
efio 12KT brings the price of the system to ~$A1646.

As for the other "upgrade":
    Microsoft(r) Windows(r) XP Home Edition: $A149

It is /possible/ that preloaded trialware covers the difference, but I
doubt it. Could someone who has bought a laptop recently please tell
me how much trialware was preloaded? I will send another letter to the
ACCC soon; your input will be invaluable.

By the way, the *OEM* End User License Agreement (EULA) is no help.
>From what I understand it provides for a refund only if you return the
entire system. By itself, this is not a problem. Remember, you can't
buy a Big Mac and get a refund on the cheese - but if ninety-something
percent of consumers want cheese in their burgers and the dairy
company (the only one) refuses to supply cheese unless the burger
manufacturers put cheese in every burger (or charge for it anyway)
then you have a complaint to take to the ACCC.

Kind regards,

Nicholas