Peter Chubb wrote:

Henry> What is really annoying is that this problem does not occur
Henry> when the AD-100 is plugged directly into a motherboard usb
Henry> port. I could put then quickly put it down to a 'non-standard'
Henry> usb device and try to find something else...

Try the AD-100 plugged into the hub but not connected to your
computer, or plugged into the computer with the computer turned off
(but plugged into the mains).
The noise only occurs when the computer is sending audio digital data to the usb AD-100 audio adaptor. Once the sound file has played the speakers/headphones go quiet.

On the off chance that I am having a run of bad luck with hubs I will be buying another 7 port powered hub and repeater of a different brand today.

My motherboard has 4 usb ports and trying them all has made no difference.

Henry

Interested in the applications of technology - past, present and future - esepcially unusual.