On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 12:36:20AM +1000, Phil Scarratt wrote:
> Phill wrote:
> >I'm told that one of the big pros of the X server/client is that the
> >server and the client can be on separate machines ( I  guess like a remote
> >desktop). How can I use my windows machine to run applications on the
> >linux machine. Currently I'm just using a "vnc" setup.
> >

> >Phill
> >

> Short answer: install cygwin on your windows machine, making sure to
> install whatever X server is included with it.

Slightly longer answer:
Have a look at the Cygwin/X project at http://x.cygwin.com/ . The
downloading section has a very quick guide to installing the cygwin
components for running an X server. Just select the xorg-x11-base
package and it will resolve any dependencies for you automatically.

While you're installing cygwin components, I'd strongly suggest
installing openssh as well. Even if you already have putty or something
else, having access to a commandline ssh client from within cygwin makes
forwarding X connections a lot simpler.

cygwin will have installed a batch file, startxwin.bat, for launching
the X server. Start it up, and it should launch an xterm window. From
there you can ssh to your linux machine (make sure you use the -Y option
for X11 forwarding) and run your applications.

There's a lot more detail in the Cygwin/X user's guide at
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/ .

> Other info which may or may not be useful:
> in terms of X servers, the terms server/client are probably inverted to
> natural thought (maybe its just me though).

For what it's worth, I wrapped my head around this one by reasoning that
the X server arbitrates access to input and output hardware and serves
it up to the applications that want to get keyboard input or display
stuff on a screen.

It does feel back-to-front, but only until you realise that a server
doesn't necessarily have to be serving resources directly to a human.

Hope that helps.
--
Pete