<quote who="Phil Scarratt">

> > I'm told that one of the big pros of the X server/client is that the
> > server and the client can be on separate machines ( I  guess like a
> > remote desktop). How can I use my windows machine to run applications on
> > the linux machine. Currently I'm just using a "vnc" setup.
>
> Short answer: install cygwin on your windows machine, making sure to
> install whatever X server is included with it.

An even faster route to satisfaction: Xming. It's really easy to install and
has a little startup wizard to configure it how you want, eg. running full
screen or using managed windows, using PuTTY to set up a compressed ssh
forward for you, etc. It's really sweet.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2006: Dunedin, New Zealand               http://linux.conf.au/

   "Stupidity is used to run 98% of the world's corporations, which tops
              UNIX server usage by quite a bit." - George Lebl