Amos Shapira wrote:
On 10/27/05, Howard Lowndes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

this-file-1.2.9.i386.rpm is obvious to the human eye earlier than
this-file-1.2.10.i386.rpm as well as having a later create date, but,
sortwise, it orders differently (yes, I know that sort has the -n option
but the variance is not always numeric).

Assuming the file dates are preserved - how about just ignoring the version
altogether and remove all files with the same "basename" but the newest one?

Therein lies the rub.  You tell me what is the basename in these:

zlib-1.2.2.2-4.fc4.i386.rpm
zlib-1.2.2.2-5.fc4.i386.rpm

xorg-x11-Xvfb-6.8.2-37.FC4.45.i386.rpm
xorg-x11-Xvfb-6.8.2-37.FC4.48.1.i386.rpm
xorg-x11-Xvfb-6.8.2-37.FC4.49.2.i386.rpm
xorg-x11-Xvfb-6.8.2-37.i386.rpm

util-linux-2.12p-9.10.i386.rpm
util-linux-2.12p-9.11.i386.rpm
util-linux-2.12p-9.12.i386.rpm
util-linux-2.12p-9.5.i386.rpm
util-linux-2.12p-9.7.i386.rpm
util-linux-2.12p-9.9.i386.rpm

It's still crude - what about packages which changed names, for instance, or
packages you are just not interested in anymore?

Another possible option(?) - move to apt and manage an apt cache - then
you can just run "apt-get autoclean" once in a while.

That's an option.

Yet another option to achieve your original goal (share a downloaded file
among multiple local machines) - setup an HTTP proxy which will automatically
keep a copy the first time a file is accessed and cull old files like any other
unused cache entries.

...but at some stage the cache has to be allowed to expire.

HTH,

--Amos

--
Howard.