Hi
I am having difficulty in getting postgreasql past the ssl required for tcp/ip

this is what I'm getting when I manually start postgresql:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/etc/init.d # ./postgresql-7.4 start
 * Starting PostgreSQL 7.4 database server: main
         The PostgreSQL server failed to start. Please check the log output:
/usr/lib/postgresql/7.4/bin/postmaster: TCP/IP connections must be enabled for
SSL

  [fail]

adding a new user to postgres doesn't occur as postgres isn't running:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ createuser -d wwww-data
Shall the new user be allowed to create more new users? (y/n) n
createuser: could not connect to database template1: could not connect to
server: No such file or directory
        connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

I've found how to make the rss keys for openssl, but I'm not sure where to put
them. ie the data directory mentioned in:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/ssl-tcp.html

Is this the right step? or is this in the wrong direction? (likely!)

TIA

Russell