On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 16:13, Phil Scarratt wrote:
> Hi
>
> Anyone got any good howto's on CUPS or links? I'm struggling to come up
> with useful google search terms so google's getting me nothing although
> I am sure the answer is out there somewhere. My problem is that I have a
> printer installed on CUPS on a linux box (RHEL4 - Centos). I need to
> install that printer on a Window$ box. Seems to install OK, and connect
> and print, but nothing comes out the printer. Even the cups web printer
> admin page on the linux box says that the job completed, but nothing
> comes out the printer. I can print a test page from the local linux box
> and it works OK. I've tried setting loglevel to debug and debug2 to no
> avail (well probably I'm missing something). It's got me stumped.
> Permissions seem to be OK. The printer just never gets the data.
>
> I've also got problems printing to it from a different linux box
> (Ubuntu), which doesn't work either, but I think that's a problem with
> the Ubuntu machine as it doesn't even reach the Centos machine. I'm
> still plugging away at that one...
>
> Anyone got any links or clues at all?
>
> Fil

Your first problem I think can be solved by altering /etc/mine.convs
and /etc/mine.types to enable raw printing as follows

------------------------------ /etc/mine.convs -----------------------------

#
# Raw filter...
#
# Uncomment the following filter and the application/octet-stream type
# in mime.types to allow printing of arbitrary files without the -oraw
# option.
#

application/octet-stream        application/vnd.cups-raw        0       -

____________ /etc/mine.types ______________
#
# Raw print file support...
#
# Uncomment the following type and the application/octet-stream
# filter line in mime.convs to allow raw file printing without the
# -oraw option.
#

application/octet-stream

______________________________________

The other problem is that on the ubuntu system you must edit
the /etc/client.conf file and add in the IP address or servername of the Cups
server.  I prefer to use the IP address instead of relying on the /etc/hosts.

# ServerName: the hostname of your server.  By default CUPS will use the
# hostname of the system or the value of the CUPS_SERVER environment
# variable.  ONLY ONE SERVER NAME MAY BE SPECIFIED AT A TIME.  To use
# more than one server you must use a local scheduler with browsing
# and possibly polling.
#

#ServerName myhost.domain.com
ServerName 192.168.20.20

You may have to alter the browsing section of /etc/cups.conf on your Cups
server, by adding in the correct address range that is allowed to connect to
the server. The file is very well commented in this area.

Also it is always helpfull to look at the logs in  /var/log/cups/ and see what
it is complaining about.

--
Regards,

Graham Smith