Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

Hi all,

Is it possible to get the vncserver program to export the :0 display
of a system running X? My mother-in-law is having a few minor problems
with her email client (Sylpheed under Gnome) and I was hoping to help
her out.

Cheers,
Erik
No need to go to all that bother, just use ssh, you can tunnel X through
ssh. It slows things down a bit, but if you just want to run the mail
client, then that shouldn't be an issue.

To do this just run this command

ssh -CX [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Then you can launch an application, and it will run on your screen.
Just so you know, the -CX means, compress, and allow X forwarding.
Be sure that the X is a capital, lower case x, prevents X forwarding.
This is how I use gui apps remotely, never actually tried a vnc (never
had the need) so can't really give a comparison, but ssh does the job
quite nicely for me.

Tuxta

Oh by the way -- Sylpheed, YUCK !! why not just use Thunderbird? much nicer.