On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 22:42 +1100, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

Heres my Dell X1 against your specs

> Here's what I'm after, with the highest priorities at the top.
>
>   - Working sleep/resume (ie close lid -> sleep, open -> resume)

Yes, (the lid close open is signalled to acpi, making that sleep is a
configuration choice).

>   - 12 or 14 inch screen

Yes

>   - 1280 pixels or better horizontal resolution

Yes (1280x768)

>   - 60G or larger drive

60

>   - 1Gig ram

Yup.

>   - Ethernet

Yup, Gb.

>   - Wireless (source code driver)

ipw2200 - proprietary firmware, GPL driver, project run by Intel.

>   - USB

Yes.

>   - Decent sound in and out.

Do you mean speaker and mic quality? or chipsets ? You're welcome to
play with mine to test.

>   - External (preferred) CDROM drive.

Yup, powered-USB.

I get a total of 6 hours with my two batteries. (one small @ 2, one
large @ 4).

>   - Availability of external long life battery.

???

>   - Firewire

ieee1394 - 4 pin.

> Does anyone have any recommendations on machines and/or vendors?

HTH,
Rob