On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 21:02, Jeff Waugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> <quote who="Murray Waldron">
>
> > I'm running Ubuntu Hoary and and would like to reduce a large amount of
> > pictures so that I can shove them onto a webpage. In FC3 I used convert
> > from imagemagic, I think. This doesn't seem to be included in the
> > standard Hoary installation
> >
> > Is there some program similar in Hoary that can do a group reduction?
>
> By 'reduction' do you mean scaling, or compression? If you're happy to keep
> doing it the way you have before, just install the imagemagick package. :-)

If he means compression, this tool might be useful for JPEGs:

  http://freshmeat.net/projects/jpegoptim/

From the description:

"jpegoptim is a utility for optimising JPEG files. It provides lossless
optimisation (based on optimising the Huffman tables) and 'lossy'
optimisation based on setting a maximum quality factor."

Since it can perform lossless optimisation, it can shrink a JPEG image's file
size without affecting the quality at all.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://dhanapalan.webhop.net/yama.asc

"It is particularly easy to cut down the load on the [UNIX] system so that
only the minimum number of services is running. This reduced complexity [and]
aids stability and transparency."
        -- Microsoft, 'Converting a UNIX .COM Site to Windows', 2000-22-08