On Wednesday 23 November 2005 13:36, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Catchy Subject?
>
> <rant emotion="annoyed" sanity="atrisk">
>
> Yes I hate udev because if my server is rebooted and the tape drive
> isn't switched on then the entries in /dev/ such as nst0 don't get
> created. Then my backup fails or worse the disk is completely full
> because writing to /dev/nst0 when the device file doesn't exist creates
> a data file on the disk which grows to be bigger than the /dev
> partition. I don't want to reboot my server right now but I'd love to be
> able to do a backup. Is there a sane way to tell udev to create the
> entries for the device without rebooting?

1) Turning on your tape drive should create the dev entries
2) Make your backups just a tiny bit cleverer eg RFMd on bash and test

 -b file     True if file exists and is a block special file.
 -c file     True if file exists and is a character special file.

if [ -c /dev/nst0 ]; then
   do the backup
else
   echo 'Turn on the power, Luke'
fi

also lsmod and modprobe are your friends
James