Hal Ashburner wrote:

Probing "/dev/usb/lp0"...
    *** Found "Photosmart 2570 series" but failed to communicate with
it!
    *** Elapsed time for this attempt was 0 second(s).
    *** Check syslog file for ptal-mlcd error messages.
    *** See hpoj documentation for troubleshooting information.

The key line in syslog appears to my ignorant eye as 'couldn't claim interface 2'

I've had a similar problems with a digital camera when permissions weren't set correctly, but it's probably unrelated to this.

I have hpijs & hplip installed as well as hpoj

http://www.linuxprinting.org//show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-PhotoSmart_2570

So its a 2575 rather than a 2570, which I thought would be unimportant.

Anyone got a cluebat handy?

I suppose the first thing to check re: usb1 vs usb2 on Dell hardware would be whether the usb controller is actually picking up the device properly.

An `lsusb` (with a -v if you're feeling game) will give you all the necessary information about connected devices.

If it's not showing up in the list, it's probably hardware related. If it is showing up, it might be some sort of permissions based thing, or maybe some simple misconfiguration with cups that'll take you half an hour to find but end up being a single misplaced character. :-)

Check to see what type of USB driver you're using under Linux too (uhci, ohci, ehci) - try swapping them in and out and see whether that makes some sort of difference, especially if it's a usb version compatibility thing.

I've had issues with where the device I was connecting to the usb controller was talking in a host mode rather than in the device mode, and hence wasn't showing up to the system it was connected to. I think that would be completely unrelated to your problem (the wonders of poorly written firmware), but I thought i'd throw it in to give you another possible avenue of investigation. :-)

Finally, it could be just a driver related thing, with the printer just not wanting to play nice with the Linux USB stack/drivers. I take it you've googled for others instances of this?

Good luck to you.

Lindsay