On Wednesday 07 December 2005 07:58, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > And by "connected to the public network" they mean "in any way through
> > > any device".  So even if you isolate your network from the public one
> > > with a router or modem etc, you're still deemed to be "connected".  Not
> > > sure if you're still deemed to be connected if the external/public link
> > > is wireless though (they are more concerned about electrical isolation
> > > than spurious data).
> > >
> > > At tleast this was how the regs were written back in '95 when I was
> > > AUSTel Certified.  Things may have changed - usual disclaimers apply.
> >
> > Jesus thats scarey. Why isn't my power socket AUSTel certified ?
>
> Because the assumption is that you are using AUSTel approved
> network/telephone equipment which has been certified to meet the isolation
> requirements.
>
> I've personally seen what happens to a thin-ether (10base2) network when a
> PC's power supply decided to send all 240VAC through the motherboard and
> hence the network card.  Goodnight Irene for everything else too.  However,
> the same machine had an AUSTel certified internal (ISA) modem - the PABX it
> was running through was untouched.
>
> See the difference?

Ummmm ... when an elderly and distinguished scientist says something is
impossible he's nearly always wrong ...

A nic card has an isolating transformer rated to some 1000v between it and the
cable. For the 240v to escape A it needs a faulty transformer on A, then to
infect B it needs another faulty transformer on B ....
James