On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 10:30:43PM +1100, Visser, Martin wrote:
> Anand Kumria wrote :-
>
> >The site-local prefix (fe80) has been deprecated (rfc3879), instead you
> want IPv6 local addresses (rfc4193) which you
> >can self-generate with tools such as:
> >
> http://www.hznet.de/tools/generate-uniq-local-ipv6-unicast-addr.sh
>

> Hmm, I dropped off the IETF announce lists a few years ago so I have
> missed this fairly significant change. One thing I noticed though was
> that this script doesn't comply with the mentioned RFC. I am guessing it
> may have been written against an earlier draft (yep, the script says
> Sept. 2004).

Hmm, I thought I had updated the URL before I sent out my email.

Anyway, http://www.hznet.de/tools/generate-rfc4193-addr.sh is one
which seems to comply with the RFC.  It might be worthwhile checking
this as throughly as you have the last one though.

> While it creates a pseudo-random address, a few problems I see are that
> it uses FD00::/8 as the prefix (instead of FC00::/7 which means it only
> tries to use half of the available space) and MD5 instead of SHA1 as the
> digest/randomizer. I know I am pedantic but one of the assumptions in
> this RFC (section 3.2.1) is that all generators of locally assigned
> global IDs use the same algorithm.

Holger, it is probably worthwhile if you generate a 303 - See
other  response if someone tries to access the earlier shell script.

Regards,
Anand

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are