Lyle Chapman wrote:

I checked the fstab settings below and they seem a bit odd, so I changed them back to what they should be and what happens - cannot find / no booting. Does anyone have any suggestions? And yes it does boot up fine if I leave the settings. Thanks.

find out what the labels on the disk volumes are

 $ mount
 /dev/hda2 on /boot type ext3 (rw,commit=0)
 /dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw,commit=0)

 # e2label /dev/hda2
 /boot
 # e2label /dev/hda3
 /

and compare these for consistency with /etc/fstab

 LABEL=/      /      ext3  noatime  1 1
 LABEL=/boot  /boot  ext3  noatime  1 2

when you had them set inconsistently the machine would not
boot

--
 Glen Turner         Tel: (08) 8303 3936 or +61 8 8303 3936
 Australia's Academic & Research Network  www.aarnet.edu.au