Some factors to consider:

1: are you running any non free, binary only software on the boxes? If you
are buying a product to run on linux I would say run it on one of the
supported platforms for the product, which will be one of the commercial
distributions. Otherwise you are not going to get support for the app you
have purchased.

2: having a supported platform makes non techical managers happy.

3: A version RHEL *will* be supported longer and have less changes then
fedora. RHEL keeps the same kernal version, just patches it. You have less
chance of an upgrade causing a problem.

If you are running open source software only and are comfortable fixing
little breaks that *may* happen, I would advise you to stick with what you
are using.

A download only version of RHEL exist which is much cheaper.

on Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 11:53:01AM +1100, Simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
> AT the risk of starting a flamewar.....I am being advised by consultants
> that I need to 'upgrade' my Fedora Core servers to RH Enterprise as it
> is 'more robust', 'better supported', 'easier to upgrade' etc etc. We
> are currently running them as our webserver (informational only - no
> transactions), mailserver and intranet webserver (this one is a bit
> slow, but just needs more RAM).
>
> I am unaware of any major differences in the products that would require
> us to change over and start paying for what we now do for free -
> maintenance has been trivial, yum runs regularly via cron, downtime has
> been non-existent.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> ------------------------------------
> OLMC