On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 07:43:54AM +1100, Anthony O'Hara wrote:
> Booting Gentoo results in an odd beeping noise coming from the hard
> drive..  It just sits there making a very quiet and subtle morse
> code noise over and over and over again.

I don't think it is your hard drive, there was a period a while ago
where a lot of people were complaining about noise, and it was
apparently capacitors resonating due to changed timer frequency.  See

http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/10/7/69

as one example.  Approaches include turning down the timer frequency
and booting with APCI off.  ISTR that it was fixed in later kernels,
so maybe try 2.6.15.

-i