Thanks to both Oscar and Matt for replying.

As to Oscar's suggestion, I know it's just beyond me. I know my method's crude, but it does work.

As to Matt's questions: when I ran lsmod before making any changes, 17 modules showed up as loaded, including ieee1394, and that even though the computer has no Firewire port.

The file in which I implemented my changes is called bootlocal.sh. Whether it's specific to DSL, I don't know. In any event, I did add to it a line "modprobe -r ieee1394", then saved the file, then rebooted. After a reboot I ran lsmod again and there was no loaded ieee1394 module anymore.

To both Oscar and Matt, I apologise for not creating my reply in the usual fashion, but something's gone haywire with Thunderbird. When I create a reply, it often fails to be delivered, though a "new" email works as expected. I'm just about to see what happens this time!

Thanks again,

Leslie