On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 12:35 +1100, Jamie Wilkinson wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Michael Fox wrote:
> >On 2/28/06, Craige McWhirter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> That's unusual, in my experience (not with iinet) business rates are
> >> usually significantly cheaper than residential rates.
> >
> >Not from any ISP I have ever seen. Just look at the Internode Business
> >plans compared to Home/Soho ones.
>
> Usually that's because a business plan is guaranteed to have a lower
> contention ratio (i.e. 1:1) than the residential plans, which can be as
> dense as 1:10 or 1:12.

Gah, 1:1?

Assuming you're talking about the average DSL provider, business is
normally more like 1:15 or something, whereas residential is more like
1:30 - obviously, depends on the provider, and how saturated their links
are on average.  The contention ratios for business are usually
structured such that even in peak periods, you'll get optimal
bandwidth/latency out of your link.

At 1:1, for a 1.5mbit DSL connection you'd probably be paying around
$1000/month (which are definitely available, but probably not what
people are thinking of in this thread).