Further update...
I turned on debugging to mozplugger and added a timestamp to the debug routine and here's what happened...

PID3097: 1141880606 Same.
PID3097: 1141880606 Checking command: mplayer -really-quiet -nojoystick -nofs -zoom -vo xv,x11 -ao esd,alsa,oss,arts,null -osdlevel 0 -xy $width -wid $window "$file" </dev/null
PID3097: 1141880606 Match found!
PID3097: 1141880606 Command found.
PID3097: 1141880608 StreamAsFile
PID3097: 1141880608 NEW_CHILD(/ramdisk/media/1132199391.mov)
PID3097: 1141880608 >>>>>>>>Forking<<<<<<<<,

So this mysterious 2 second delay between clicking on the link to the movie and having it play the movie is indeed within the plugin system I was using.