On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 06:32:53PM +1100, Andrew Fleisher wrote:

> I have no error messages as I successfully installed Fedora Core 4.
>
> The questions are regarding installing apps:
> - the yum repository has Firefox version 1.0.7 but the present version at
> the Firefox website is 1.5.01 and 1.5 has been out for more than two
> months.
> Can I somehow use yum to install a recent Firfox version.

Well, 1.0.7 is perfectly fine, but if you really want 1.5.x
then you can get the spec file from
http://fedoranews.org/tchung/firefox/ and build an rpm yourself
with rpmbuild.  But there must be prebuilt rpms around for
googling.

> - How do I find what java RTE is installed. How do I install the most
> recent. The explanations I have are not adequately clear?

There are quite a few java RTE's available.  IBM, gcj, sun.
If you mean the Sun one, just get it from java.sun.com,
install it /opt and adjust your PATH accordingly.
If you want to use applets in your browser you gave to
do a bit more.

If you want to install it in the most fedora compatible
way, you can follow the instructions on jpackage.org to
make yourself a well-behaved rpm from the sun non-rpm
installer.
It's pretty well documented on the jpackage site and
here: http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/JPackage_Java_for_FC4

> A couple of others suggest I read Stanton Finley's installation notes. So
> I will do that first.

I'd never heard of Stanton Finley, so I had a look at his
website.  It seems ok I guess.

It'd be better if he contributed to the standard fedora project sites.
Who knows, perhaps he does.

Matt