I was meaning that windows is just packing more and more rubbish
into the gui, as is apple, as is gnome and kde.

sitting here on my xp machine, im still wondering why 2700mhz later
im doing the same things.

fortunately we will have enlightenment and window maker to keep things minimalistic.

Dean

Howard Lowndes wrote:

Dean Hamstead wrote:
definitely computer owners have an appliance mentality. fortunately
people are getting over it, most people realize a computer will be
horrendously out of date long before any other appliance will be.
although thats mainly due to mans obsession with making the gui
more and more like a Macdonald's playground.

I was wondering whether you meant "man's" as in the GUI designer, or "man's" as in the end user. I think the latter is probably more like your very apposite description, having once seen a Windows desktop with over 100 icons on it; how the user found anything I don't know...

Dean

Howard Lowndes wrote:

James Purser wrote:

Maybe it means desktop Linux companies need to knock on more doors
to try and get more printers being sold with a "Works with Linux"
sticker or something.

Which brings up the point: Why don't the Desktop Linux Companies want to
touch the retail market? Business/Corporate they are all over but
retail/Mum and Aunt Jane sends them running.

I think they may have learned from the retail Windows market - too much: "This computer you sold me is broken, it's still under warranty, so fix it, and I ain't paying."