Terry Collins wrote:
Bohdan S wrote:
I dont like how all these Linux users bag Windows SOOOO much..... If it
wasent for windows how many of us would own a computer right now?

LOL, you must be a kid. Just as many would.

The big problem for past computer users was that IT dept forced peeps to
standardise on MS OS so they could create a situation that justified the
IT depts existance.

This is cynical attitude to take towards IT depts.

The major reason why we "standardise" is due to cost. It is not due to the whims and caprices of IT dept.

Standardisation saves cost whether it is computing, manufacturing, primary industries, or any entrepreneural endeavour. Standardisation is one of the basic tools we use to achieve economy of scale. (Economics 102?)

Whether it is MS or Unix or Mac or Linux the reason is cost. And this is not only for the direct cost of hardware and software but for the on-going ( or total cost of ownership ) cost like training cost, the availability of these training infrastructures, skills and knowledge base cost required to run and maintain the systems, quality and reliability in the supply of skills and knowledge, etc. It is nice to have every available systems, unfortunately, IT departments have pre-determined budgets and they intend to optimise that budget. Lowest cost/benefits ratios are the name of
the game for IT departments.

On-going cost is more problematic on the hip pocket.

When an organization has one system it needs one skills-set; if two two-skills sets; more than two skills-sets are
required when you have more. Remember our spreadsheets ?

Hope this helps.

O Plameras