On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:20, Bolero wrote:
> > Hello Everybody,
> >
> > I resend this email in text mode since somebody complaint about the
> > first HTML version, which apparently could only be read in text mode
> > incl. all formatting characters etc., additionally apparently loading
> > your server unnecessarily due to HTML mode.

That was me ;-)

> > I am new to Linux (RH C4) and after some weeks of stuffing around to get
> > even the basics working, I am asking for help.

I'm adding to the roar of approval for Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I've put a few newbies
onto
it including my 84 year old mother-in-law (she didn't install though!), with no
problems.

You WILL have some problems, but Windows users have problems too, even Mac users
have problems. You can't have something as complicated as a computer and not
have
problems.

The live CD is magical. You can play to your heart's content without touching
your Windows installation at all! When you shut down, the whole thing
disappears,
and no damage is done. Pretty much everything works, or doesn't work, exactly
as it would in a full installation (except for access to your hard drive, and
saving files permanently - that's possible but beyond the scope of a beginner).

Go to ubuntulinux.com - download and burn the "live" ISO file which you will
find there and try it out. It will also help you connect to the net, and you
should be able to surf websites etc. A small caution - make sure everything
you are going to use is plugged in before you start the live install, because
the installer will go looking for devices, and if they aren't there, sometimes
post install is not quite so smooth.

> > Problem 1 ? ADSL Connection
> >
> > The installation program does not ask me to setup my network connection,
> > which I tried under ?Setup Internet Connection? as well as ?Network?.
> > My modem is not listed and that?s were the trouble starts.
> >
> > Somebody advised that I should setup the connection using DHCP instead
> > of PPPoA

If you still have your windows set up working, ask your isp about
getting connected to the net. Whatever you do with your modem for windows
is exactly what you would do for linux. Ubuntu will automatically look for
DHCP. Nearly all modern broadband modems seem to use DHCP so it is something
you don't really need to think about at this point of your career.

The modem is designed to connect to your ISP. Your computer (windows, mac
or linux) then uses DHCP to connect to the modem. Once your modem is set
up you shouldn't need to change it. If it already works for windows it will
continue to work for anything else.

> > Problem 2 ? Monitor Resolution
>
> > The only resolution that works is the  monitor?s native one, i.e. 1280x1024.

My recollection is that the graphics tries to give you the highest resolution
possible. Ubuntu gives you options to lower the resolution if you wish. I'm sure
Redhat does too... I've not used RH for years.

> > Problem 3 ? Audio

Some audio is problematic. The live CD will sort that for you. It will either
work or not. If it doesn't it's best to get help (from here, perhaps).

> > Should I download and install the individual drivers in Windows?  Will
> > my Windows OS still work? What chance is there that the Linux RH
> > problems I have will be fixed?

No relationship at all. In certain cases, linux will
use specially installed windows drivers, but that would be clear to you when
the time came. The drivers are used with linux "wrappers" - very confusing for
beginners. If you ever need them, you will  then understand, but it's not
for beginners.

> > Somehow I am a bit weary, Stanton Finleys installation notes in the
> > beginning point out that the installation of Linux is easy and can be
> > done by everyone; however there are apparently 45 pages of installation
> > notes needed to get the job done!
> >
> > Sorry, I am to say the least a bit frustrated and would appreciate some
> > help.

Unless you have some strange hardware, Ubuntu will install and run with so
little intervention that instruction are almost superfluous. I can't imagine
filling one page, much less 45 pages. I'm very sympathetic to beginners
though.. there is way too much jargon and too much assumption of knowledge.
such as "what does DHCP mean, and should I care?". Acronyms are one of  the
greatest blocks to knowledge ever invented. They are a kind of insane
masonic code used by computer geeks to confuse the hoards.

One thing you will find very odd is that in the Linux world there is an
amazing and sometimes confusing amount of choice. There is not one-true-way
to do things as there is in Windows. There is endless argument about window
managers and filesystems and distributions and other arcane matters that
serve to confuse newbies.

Ubuntu has shortcircuited a lot of those arguments by making decisions
for you. You can get into the fun of arguing religious differences if and
when you want to, but after you have been initiated. Just go with the
default settings at first. They work really well.