On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 10:23:08 +0800
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Monday 20 March 2006 09:38, Adam Bogacki wrote:
> > Skype ? Nah, dull and boring.
> >
> > apt-get install gizmo
> >
> > ... which can be encrypted with Zimmerman's newly released
> > VOiP version of peer-to-peer Zfone.
> >
> > Gizmo is also more colourful, functional, etc.
>
> Adam
> vodafone ran an ad for people just like me: They advertized a mobile
> that ... makes phone calls. The End.
> Likewise skype. I don't call in, call out (whatever the marketing
> terminology is), I go click and talk to someone on the other side of
> the world, who may be doing winders, linux or friends. The End.
>
> Soo "dull and boring" is perfect. My hastle is no AMD64 support. The
> alternatives I've looked at don't compute:
>
> eg gizmo - I need to build for my hardware (no suse-9 rpms), in 2004
> they said API and src comming. long wait ....

But you don't need the Gizmo software to talk to Gizmo clients. **ANY**
SIP phone (and there are at least a half a dozen ones for linux) will
work.

> So none of the suggestions offered here have met the need of skype's
> ease of use, nat/firewall hastle free, easily installable, setup
> able, by eg aged parents on the other side of the world, or friends
> with winders, etc as well as me and my technical circle too.

The Gizmo client is all of these things on a Windows box.

Cheers,
Alan

> Still looking ...
> James
> --

Tel: +61 2 4782 2670            Mobile: +61 428 148 071
Fax: +61 2 4782 7092            FWD: 615662