cmyers wrote:

Just a quick question, I have read many faqs about why an NFS share
would take forever to mount and they all suggest that there is a dns
problem when so i use the IP to avoid the possibility of that problem.

The entry in my exports file is /mnt/drive1 192.168.0.123/255.255.255.0(rw)

The entry in my 2nd machine (.123) fstab is..

192.168.0.221:/mnt/drive1  /mnt/nfs-share1 nfs
rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr

I also have tried just ... 192.168.0.221:/mnt/drive1 /mnt/nfs-share1 nfs

Im mounting 5 drives (it takes between 5 - 10 minutes) to mount all the
drives.

Is there something else I should be looking at? or doing? to get them to
mount quicker?

Any help would be great...

Thanks..

Charles.
Sounds like you need to install portmap. I had the same problem when I started using Ubuntu, with debian it would mount instantly, but in ubuntu it was about 90 seconds per mount, this is because portmap was installed on debian by default but not on ubuntu.

A simple 'sudo apt-get install portmap' solved the problem, and now mounts are instant.

Tuxta