On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 10:36 pm, Terry Collins wrote:
> James Gray wrote:
> > Other reasons why Alpha's wont work....well, that would require them to
> > at least have power.
> >
> > Not much help, but what does "dead in the water" really mean in this
> > case?
>
> Okay, both machines have done at least 10 years in Australia and haven't
> left the country  since arrival {:-).
>
> Dead in the water is that when a power cord is inserted into the back at
> the power supply (no switch on rear), there are no lights anywhere.

SNIPPED

> Am I missing a "hidden power switch?
> I've never played with this as hardware before so was looking for some
> guidance as to whether it is a dead duck or there is some DEC
> incantation needed. {:-)

There's nothing particularly speshul about the Alpha kit.  THey switch on
pretty much like any other system - I don't remember any funky hidden
switches/button or secret handshakes required to power them on.

I do remember not rebooting them very often and rarely powering them down
though.  The original DEC kit was practically bullet proof.  Same couldn't be
said of the Alpha after Compaq too over DEC.  IMHO Compaq really took a lot
away from DEC and the Alpha was in the throws of death from that point on.

Sorry to hear your new toys aren't behaving :(  Maybe someone with a better
understanding of regulated PSU's can help?

Cheers,

James
--
Where you stand depends on where you sit.
                -- Rufus Miles, HEW