On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 20:10, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> Much of the friendliness part of it comes from phrasing and
> manner. "RTFM" is not friendly or helpful.
>
> Directing someone towards relevant documentation is a really good way of
> helping. Telling them to read the fucking manual [1] is insulting.

No, it's not.

I will accept you read it that way.  I'll accept that some other people read
it that way.

I don't accept that it is.  That is in the mind of the reader.  It can be
intended that way, but it isn't inherently intended that way.

If you can't see that, I see a fixation in your viewpoint, like someone who
can't accept anyone saying 'damn' in public.  But I don't see it's inherent
to the term.

I have no difficulty sharing the joke in RTFM with my friends, including the
non-computer savvy ones.  There's an aspect of personal self-comfort and
maturity that allows people to not take everything personally - I'm happy to
say I have friends like this.

You can say how it is for you as much as you like - but you are definitely not
speaking for everyone, and I'm glad you're not speaking for most of the
people in my life.

I find it is legitimate and worthwhile to expect people to grow into
tolerance, rather than downsize my own approach to match the least common
denominator - and stay there.

You being insulted is not the same as everyone being insulted - you aren't
that universal.  My own friends show me this daily.

Regard,
Bret