On Friday 24 March 2006 22:50, Simon Males <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Tom Massey wrote:
> > Morning,
> >
> > Does anybody have any information about whether this ADSL router works
> > with Linux? From my reading, it seems that it would work fine, just plug
> > into the Ethernet port and use the web interface to configure rather
> > than the Windows software, but I don't know enough about the beasts to
> > be sure.
>
> Never heard of this hardware. But any thing with a web interface is
> usually Linux friendly.

The Web interface in my old D-Link DSL-302G ADSL modem/router only works with
IE. All other Web browsers get a blank page or fail to authenticate properly.
I have no idea how they managed to pull that off - it feels almost
deliberate. To change the settings, I had to either reboot to Windows (which
I am loathe to do) or run IE through WINE. I was able to duplicate this
behaviour on several units. D-Link assured me that the modem is OS
independent, but despite my complaining they never fixed this issue.

For this reason and a few others (for one, their support is appalling), I have
sworn never to purchase a D-Link product ever again. Companies who don't
treat their customers with respect deserve no respect from me.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://dhanapalan.webhop.net/yama.asc

"There are a number of significant vulnerabilities in technologies relating to
the IE domain/zone security model, the DHTML object model, MIME type
determination, and ActiveX. It is possible to reduce exposure to these
vulnerabilities by using a different web browser."
        - US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#323070, 2004-04-05