Speaking as a community member not a committee member anymore - as of
Friday night :)....

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 10:04 +1200, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> I will use the "Royal you" in writing this.  It's not referring just to
> Visser, Martin, but to all the readers.
>
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 08:40, Visser, Martin wrote:
> > Huh? When did this thread become a debate on the definition of Free or
> > Open Source Software?
>

> When this group decided to advertise itself as a Linux user's group.  Linux
> is
> GPL, not Open Source.  Open Source allows restriction, GPL works decidedly
> against restriction - they are aligned by accident in some ways, and
> diametrically opposed in others.

SLUG has been a Linux users group for a long time now, since the time
when a Linux user was always a software developer. Its one of the groups
that are most passionate about software freedoms that I know.

I think you are 'drawing a long bow' here in your [paraphrased] claim
that setting societal guidelines is equivalent to not supporting the
spirit of the GPL. Rather than argue with you about whether you are
right or wrong I'd like to invite you to think about a few key things
here...

Linus happily uses proprietary products routinely: MacOSX most recently
and BitKeeper most famously. Citing Linus as a shining example of what
gives the GPL its philosophical strength is ironic at best. Richard
Stallman by contrast does not use any proprietary software at all.

Secondly, licences such as Microsofts 'Code Sharing' thing which is what
I think you are referring to your email are emphatically *not* Open
Source licences. http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php provides
the definition for open source, and it *specifically* allows you to
modify any open source program and create new programs from it - such
action requires the ability to use the code shipped.

Thirdly, the GPL is not as cut-and-dried 'free' as you seem to think it.
The GPL provides *specific* freedoms and benefits in exchange for other
*specific* freedoms or benefits. For example: The freedom to create a
'binary only download' of a cool tool is curtailed by the GPL [to an
extent. There are loopholes the size of 18-wheeler road-trains.] But in
exchange we get a software commons where anyone shipping binaries is
compelled to contribute to the commons. BSD licence advocates say that
this exchange is unhealthy for a number of reasons, one being that web
services can be considered an end-run around it, and  another that its
unhealthy to solve a social problem by technical means.

Lastly, and this is the most important point: a society which wishes to
encourage a specific culture - say one of support and guidance between
members *MUST* have a mechanism to deal with rogues (i.e. [0]). It *is*
possible for a single person to provide an incredibly disruptive
influence on a much larger society [1], and societies in the pre-net era
had defense mechanisms. I think its entirely appropriate that there be
such defense mechanisms for the SLUG culture which IMO is still one of
the most fantastically supportive free software groups around. [I say
that with considerable pride to have been chosen by the SLUG members to
be a committee member two years running.] One challenge for SLUG is to
make those defense mechanisms as low-impact on the members as possible,
else the society becomes a less pleasant place to be and may be just as
harmful as leaving the rogue in place [2]. Individual defenses suh as
killfiles are clearly insufficient [3, 4, 5]. Right now we are failing
on that, and I'm going to do a talk at the April meeting [if the new
committee are interested in me doing that - are you? I think I am in
town for that meeting] about this. It seems to be a bit of a common
theme at the moment in a number of on-net societies and I'd like use to
learn from and think about the ramifications this is raising. (I've
picked on debian-devel as a source for these references because it
happens to be dealing with an extreme case of a rogue at the moment, and
the patterns of behaviour and the thought going into it is
enlightening). There are other examples to be had, and I suspect its
rather iceberg like - many more examples are private and not made public
than ever reach archived mailing lists.

Rob

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/08/msg00005.html
[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/03/msg00620.html