On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 01:32:11PM +1000, Michael Lake wrote:
> Matthew Palmer wrote:
> >For some reason (repository skew, most likely) libdb4.2-dev still needs
> >4.2.52-18 of libdb4.2, while that package has already been upgraded to
> >4.2.52-19.
> >
> >Solution is *probably* to apt-get update (clearing any intermediate
> >apt-proxys you may have lying in the way) and cross your fingers it's
> >fixed. Other solutions include a downgrade of libdb4.2 to -18 (but if the
> >binary
> >package has gone bye-byes, you're stuffed) or hunting down libdb4.2-dev
> >4.2.52-19 by hand from a mirror and dpkg -i'ing it into oblivion.
>
> I found a libdb4.2.52-18 on a pool directory on one of the debian mirrors
> and did a dpkg -i and it installed fine. Just a warning that I was
> downgrading.

That's how you do downgrades.  <grin>  In theory, you've got to be a bit
careful -- the maintainer scripts in the package aren't typically written to
handle downgrades, so there might have been things in the upgrade that won't
get reverted in the downgrade, but that's rarely a problem for most packages
(and library packages, especially).

> Then an apt-get install apache-dev worked perfectly and pulled in the
> libdb4.2-dev

Yay!

- Matt

--
"After years of studying math and encountering surprising and
counterintuitive results, I came to accept that math is always reasonable,