On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 09:08:06AM +1000, Charles Myers wrote:
> I have a heap of photos (sorted by iPhoto) and it does it in multiple
> directories of year, month,date etc..... I have moved the whole photo
> tree over to my desktop (which runs ubuntu). I was hoping to move all
> the .jpg's into a single directory if this is possible..
>
> I have tried mv /photos/*.jpg /newphotos -r  but of course this dont
> work :( Would anyone have any suggestions how to do what I wanted to do?

(Your -r is in the wrong place, but that isn't the real problem.)

Presumably the jpgs are at the same level, and have different names,
so the following should work:

        cp /photos/*/*.jpg /newphotos

                   ^this start matches the 'date' directory name

I'd use cp here, not mv in case it all goes pear shaped.

You can always delete the originals later.

Matt