This one time, at band camp, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>
>> > but would imagemagick (
>> > http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php) do what you want?
>>
>> Oh, cool. I wasn't aware that imagemagick also did text. Installing
>> libmagick6-dev now. Thanks.
>

>Ok, I've looked at image magick, spent a bunch of time getting something
>working and all I can say is yuck.
>
>Hmm, I wonder what Keith Packard et al's libcairo is like. I really
>doubt it could be half as bad.

The API to cairo is really really nice, especially if you're coming from a
PDF/PostScript generation background.

I suspect it may be a little involved to do what you want with it, but it's
certainly possible.  I didn't mention it earlier because I thought
ImageMagick would have been a more appropriate tool.