On Saturday 29 April 2006 18:55, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Here's a link to Samsung's page:
>

> http://www.samsung.com/au/products/printerfaxcopysolutions/printerfaxcopyso
>lutions/clp_550n.asp
>

> I'm thinking about buying one of these printers, they are available under
> $800 and they support Postscript and PCL5c as well as the undocumented
> (i.e. useless) Samsung Printer Language. They also have a rather low
> cost-per-page when you add up the consumable costs (note that the KYOCERA
> FS-C5020N has a lower cost per page but you have to print about 40000 pages
> to break even, when you consider the different up-front costs, I doubt I'll
> print that many).
>
> Note that the above break-even calculation is based on the presumption that
> both printers come fully loaded with toner when you first buy them... but
> it's starting to become standard practice to sell printers close to empty.
> What makes me nervous is that the Samsung is a lower price for equivalent
> specs to just about every other colour-laser on the market at the moment...
> is it just good value or am I missing a trick? I'm wondering if they sell
> it with no colour toner at all and make you buy your first batch up-front
> (which would bring the price in line with the rest of the market).
>
> Has anyone tried one of these?

I have one, I believe it to be one of the best value colour laser printers
available. It comes with a full set of toner cartridges which appear to be
full. Well I just had to replace the cyan toner which had done about 5,000
pages I think. The other cartridges have yet to be replaced.

Having a duplexer built in makes dual page printing a dream.

To install the software is one of the easiest I've come across  which
intergrates with CUPS.

--
Regards,

Graham Smith