Kevin Fitzgerald wrote:

Hi all

I am building a Production FC4 box with Scalix (www.scalix.com) for use in a
small site (12 users). The site is My church and I don't have Bucketloads of
$$ to spend but I have two available boxes to build on.
1Ghz Celeron with 1.5Gb SDRAM (3 slots)
2.8Ghz P4 with 1Gb SDRAM (2 Slots)

Now the question is this. For running Scalix (Mail server) and general Samba
stuff. Am I better to lean towards the Faster Processor with Less RAM or do
I go with the More RAM but slower Processor? From what I understand I cannot
buy SDRAM in sticks bigger than 512Mb so each Box is Maxxed out.
Can anyone give me an educated opinion on what the best to do is?

Ta

Kevin Fitzgerald
TCG TECHNOLOGIES

Skype: kevtcg
MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Mobile: 0412 404 002
Web: www.tcgtech.com.au

I have installed both scalix and zimbra on far less specs and they run fine for 2 or 3 users, so your specs IMO would suit your usage just fine. The reason I mention Zimbra, is that the last time I looked it had 3 advantages over Scalix.

1 / Open Source for 90% of it, there are some proprietary plugins such as outlook plugin, but all of what I need is FOSS.

2 / Calender sharing is handled very very nicely, simple and more effective than anything else I have seen. The calender sharing in Scalix is not available in the free version (free as in beer, I don't believe it is open source).

3 / thunderbird / sunbird plugin, so not tied down to outlook, and imports any ical calenders.

Both have an easy install, and easy graphic admin, but for what your needs seem to be, I would go with Zimbra.

Just my observations though, there may be a compelling reason for you to use Scalix over Zimbra, but at least you know Zimbra is out there.

BTW. I am running zimbra on a celeron 466, with 256MB of sd ram. While I most certainly would not use this machine in production, it is fine for 2 or 3 users and suits my purposes at home. Again, your specs are fine. I use Centos rather than fedora, just for the peace of mind, that it is a stable and tested Distro, all the servers such as apache, mysql etc etc, are contained in the install, so all the software is the same anyway, so why not use the stable base??

Question = Don't p4's have ddr ram? (I'm not a hardware person)

Either system will be fine, personally I would go with the P4 and have generous swap.

Tuxta