On 5/2/06, Erle Pereira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 08:42 +0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Has anybody got an AMD84 running smoothly and reliably?

I've been using AMD64 since April 2004, and I've been using Gentoo all
the way. Support initially was a bit crap, but it's greatly improved
and I remember submitting a lot of patches to fix broken software (why
would you store a pointer in an int anyway?).

> on board AC97 sound not seen (recognised, configurable)
> use a sound card, then the module get unloaded (!) reload
>    modprobe snd_ens1371
> works for a bit.
> ethernet card stops ethernetting. ifconfig looks good, but acts as if the
> cable is out. POWERDOWN and all is OK again
> System freezes. No keyboard, no mouse, no network, sound loops on what was

> either AMD is not ready for prime time

> ASUS is worse than expected

perhaps its a faulty m/b? Seen Asus running fine with AMD64 till now...
hows the heating?

> THIS MB is pregnant

Early motherboards were fairly crap under earlier kernels, many had
problems with stability and various things. I would have thought that
now things would be much better...

Some things you can try are:
- Disable APIC (noapic to kernel at boot?) - this might suck if you have SMP
- Disable anything on-board that you aren't using:
SATA/RAID/modem/audio/whatever

It does sound like a dodgy motherboard though. I suspect disabling
APIC will solve your problems.

-Michael