On Tue, May 2, 2006 10:05, Benno wrote:
> On Tue May 02, 2006 at 09:46:58 +1000, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> I just really doubt that a feature which is so difficult to use and
> can mean losing all you data if you forget a key or password is going
> to be enabled by default for home PCs -- of course I guess we will see
> when Vista finally comes out. I'll buy you a beer if it comes with
> encryption enabled by default :). Of course corporate setting is totally
> different.
>
> Is it that bad if people are running Linux inside a virtual machine
> running on windows anyway? (Or people running Windows inside a virtual
> machine on a Linux machine?) I have a feeling we will end up with a
> secure hypervisor and then running either Linux or windows on both on
> top of that, but that is just a guess. Maybe I am underestimating the
> problem because I've never bothered will dual-booting, and
> underestimate the use of it. I've found the best path to new Linux
> users is to first ween them off Office (ooffice), IE (firefox) etc,
> which can be done while they still run windows, and then once that
> happens, get them to install Linux with the same app on their next
> computer. But I guess that doesn't work for gamers.

Getting them off Office and IE is the easy part; getting them off their
Windows based accounting application, which their accountant insists that
they use, is the hard, neigh, impossible part.  Until such applications as
MYOB, Attache, Quicken, Quickbooks, CashFlow Manager, eTax, etc. have
Linux versions, then I think there is little or no chance of migrating the
masses to Linux.  Why these apps can come out with MacOS versions alongsie
Windows versions, and not Linux versions is a mystery, perhaps it's
because there is only one MacOS or windows distro whereas there are N+1
Linux distros.

--
Howard
LANNet Computing Associates <http://lannet.com.au>