On 5/3/06, john gibbons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 From all four approaches I ended up with the statement that the usb
disk does not exist. My own technical know-how has long since fizzled out.

How does one make it exist in the first place?

Ignoring the philosophical implications of that question, it might be
helpful if you can post to the list the output of "dmesg" when you
plug in the usb disk.

Is there any device that looks like /dev/sdXX after you have plugged
it in? Maybe the module for usb mass storage is not being loaded for
some reason?

Cheers......Steve