On Saturday 06 May 2006 23:15, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Take DammSmallLinux and try to make a development system and (real) soon
> > apt-get gives fatal errors and again 'the bell tower'
>
> Isn't that more about the distro/packaging quality/dependencies etc.?
> (I don't know anything about DamnSmallLinux so this is not intended as
> a criticism of it)
>
> A counter example I could offer would be: take ubuntu hoary, progress
> through breezy to dapper beta without ever having having to re-install
> from a cd and without really experiencing any packaging issues. Apt is
> just a (very nifty) tool, the joy comes from the distro having good
> practices around the way they organise their packages, dependencies
> etc. IMHO.

But again a real eg:
http://www.ltsp.org
lbe used to build, does not NOW. Where were you (in terms of versions) when it
DID build. How do I tell my friend that it did build around Marchish with all
the latest upgrades, but does not now. Go back to 'then' and it will build.

Again it is much cleaner to say 'install RH9, choose DEV environment, add
get-text', it works: a repeatable, exact solution for ever.
Again horses for courses: whose building 'that version' of LBE (used by 1000s
customers worldwide for POS touch terminals) and needs to continue building
THAT version.

Sure apt-get is cute (easy, nice, etc), but ...
James