On Tue, 9 May 2006 01:49 pm, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Peter Hardy wrote:
> > My X300 got up and running fairly easily, although I had issues using
> > the native X.Org driver, and had to switch to fglrx.
> >
> > Do you have the restricted kernel modules package for your kernel?
> > Should be linux-restricted-modules-686 or similar.
>
> Yeah, i have the Ubuntu fglrx driver working, but glxinfo is still
> reporting:
>
>     direct rendering: No
>
> and I need that to say yes.

I had the same problem when I had composite extensions enabled in xorg.conf.
The bundled ATi driver with Ubuntu (Breezy) doesn't support both 3D
acceleration AND composite extension.  Have a look in /var/log/Xorg.log.0 for
any errors/warnings - it's spelled out pretty well if this is your problem.

FWIW, nVidia have been supporting composite extension with 3D acceleration for
a couple of months now, but ATi (as usual) are taking their sweet time to fix
this.

HTH,

James
--
In this world, nothing is certain but death and taxes.
                -- Benjamin Franklin