[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I propose that in most cases, it's been the UNIX admins who put together the
> systems then install and basically configure the apps that make up the
> suite of apps that can be called an Information System such as a httpd,
> php/perl plus SSL/TLS and a databases such as Mysql or Postgres.

Rachel,
In my experience (mostly a very large national enterprise with a
well-established IT group) you're right, it's the (Unix/Windows/...)
system administrators who undertake such tasks.

I once found myself pursuing an almost identical question, but along
network lines instead: Who does the network configuration and
administration of your server infrastructure? The network administration
team or the system administration team?

I've seen very few cases where it isn't the system admins that do the
network configuration of the server infrastructure, yet nearly all
network reconfigurations are prompted as part of projects initiated and
owned by the network administration team.

Who manages and configures your DNS? Your resolv.conf? Is name
resolution an application service or a network service?

The system adminstrators usually end up performing an entirely menial
task almost completely under the direction of the network
administrators. Why?

Allowing the network admin team to change the IP address of an ethernet
port on your server usually requires giving the router jocks your root
password, something you'd never do.

I've found that the allocation of responsibilities has generally fallen,
somewhat pragmatically perhaps, along the lines of 'who can actually do
it?' ie, along identity/access-control/authority lines. If you have the
root password you can install and configure software and hence usually
end up doing it, because to allow others to do it necessitates providing
them with the very thing you preciously preserve: your control over the
relevant piece of infrastructure.

I have a case in mind that further illustrates the potential truth of
this: mainframe environments. In mainframe environments the system
security and rights allocation mechanisms are usually sophisticated
enough and fine-grained enough that you can grant the network
administration team sufficient rights for them to undertake their
relevant activities, without giving them rights to completely
reconfigure everything. In these environments the division of labour is
often more rational.

Virtual machine environments will see a shift I think, especially in the
scenarios in which you're most interested: application configuration.
When it becomes more common for individual or clusters of related
applications to be hosted in virtual hosts rather than within the same
single shared operating system instance it will be easier (read:
safer|more likely) for responsibilities within a particular virtual host
to be shared with the people actually responsible for the applications
running within them. The application support teams may be given more
power over their applications and the system administration team may
voluntarily relinquish the exclusivity of rights that they currently
preserve.

regards
Terry