On Thu, May 11, 2006 9:29 am, Malcolm V wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 May 2006 23:51, Dean Hamstead allegedly wrote:
> <snipped>
>
>> alas the internet has moved forward and modems are painful to use now.
>
> I simply don't agree with this statement. Dialup has the disadvantages of
>  tying up your phone line (the cost of a second line rental is more then
> some cheap "broadband" options), the call costs themselves and the
> comparably low bandwidth. Having started on a 1200/300 baud modem, I don't
> consider 48000 baud "painful".

300 baud acoustic coupler ?

I have a voice/fax gateway using 33600 modems
ocassionally, I need to access internet using such a modem

maybe not painfull for ssh...
but, if not painfull, for web browsing, certainly good character building...

> Of course, most people "serious" about the internet are using some form
> of high speed connection (ie: most people in software development, web
> content, instant messaging, etc), but for them to dismiss dialup users as
> "living in
> the past" is merely a form of bandwith snobbery.

yes, but: a brand new windoze XP SP2 system will need about 50MB updates
out of the box... getting that succesfully down on a dial up is not my
idea of exciting afternoon... (weekend..?)
not exactly very practical

> They are not an
> insignificant  minority ( *waves to OS/2 zealots, Amiga users* ;P ).

here's waving back: still love it after all these years

--
Voytek