On Wed, May 17, 2006 9:39 am, Matthew Hannigan wrote:
> On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 09:11:35AM +1000, Voytek Eymont wrote:

> I think it's been said before, but why not
> just update the entire os?  i.e. install fedora5 or whatever.

yes, I'll look at that
but, it's not that simple, for a number of reasons (many imaginary)

On Wed, May 17, 2006 10:06 am, Scott Ragen wrote:

> You should be able to safely install the latest perl from source without
> breaking the current version, or any OS dependancies, providing you keep
> /usr/bin/perl pointing to /usr/bin/perl5.6.1.
> To then use the latest version, just put #!/usr/bin/perl5.8.1 (for
> example) in your scripts. Call perl5.8.1 for any debugging, or installing
> modules etc.

thanks, Scott, Matt

whilst looking where to install 'new' Perl, I've discovered that I've
already installed it some time ago:
# whereis perl
perl: /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/perl /usr/share/man/man1/perl.1.gz

# /usr/bin/perl --version
This is perl, v5.6.1 built for i386-linux

# /usr/local/bin/perl --version
This is perl, v5.8.6 built for i686-linux-thread-multi

for some reason, it seems I stopped or whatever

so, just to confirm:

I leave my 'old' perl for any system stuff 'as is';
any new perl scripts I install, I edit the '#!' to point at the 'new' perl;

and , everyone is happy, and, I have current perl

now, what about all these CPAN libraries that I need from time to time:

do I need to install one for each version ? or, how do I handle that ?

many thanks again

--
Voytek