On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 18:14 +1000, elliott-brennan wrote:
> Until recently I was running FC4 on the same
> machine. I installed Ubuntu 5.10 (with KDE) approx
> three weeks ago. Over the last three days, the
> machine has started to freeze. Running at the time
> is usually Konqueror (one instance), gkrellm (one
> instance), Thunderbird 1.5 and Firefox 1.5
> (sometimes with two to four tabs open).

There are some periodic tasks that might be running...

I have beagle an indexing utility that runs and chews up resources for a
little while.

Perhaps you have automatic updates switched on?  On something like
Dapper the updates can be large.

The other thing is if the hard disk goes ape you might be short of
memory and the system is trying to reclaim some.  My laptop has 512 and
it sometime gets into a spin for a while when I do something silly in
code.

Ta
Ken