On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 10:26:16AM +1000, Alexander Samad wrote:
> On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 09:17:59AM +1000, O Plameras wrote:
> > Alexander Samad wrote:
> > >Hi
> > >
> > >Does any one have any experience in extracting the bootfloopy image from
> > >a dvd or cd, or might be able to suggest what tools to use ?
> > >

> > First, Kernel 2.4.x will fit on one/two floppies whilst Kernel
> > 2.5.x/2.6.x will not.
> >
> > Second, you can make boot floppy without copying from dvd or cd. You can
> > if you really want to with lots of painful efforts. Just curious: why
> > would you
> > do that ?
> >
> > Third, tools to use are 'dd', 'mount -o loop ...', 'grub', 'lilo', and
> > similar commands.
> >
> > Then, check this out:
> >
> > http://www.ata-atapi.com/hiwmbr.htm
> > http://www.trinux.org
> >
> > There is also 'Bootdisk-Howto' in http://www.tldp.org.
>
> Hi not trying to make a bootable dvd or cd, looking at disassembling
> one. unfortunately mount doesn't mount the el toro floppy image, dd
> would help but I need to know the offset into the image
>

> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > O Plameras
> >
> > --

found it

First use isoinfo (from mkisofs package) to get some info from your
image:

isoinfo -d -i bootcd.iso

This will tell you some stuff, but what you are interested in is the bit
that looks something like this:

    Eltorito defaultboot header:
        Bootid 88 (bootable)
        Boot media 2 (1.44MB Floppy)
        Load segment 0
        Sys type 0
        Nsect 1
        Bootoff 1C 28

That last line tells you that the offset of the boot image is 1Ch (28 in
decimal). ISO9660 sectors are 2048 bytes, so in this case, your dd line
will be:

dd if=bootcd.iso of=dd bs=2048 skip=28 count=720