On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 06:41:15PM +1000, nornagon wrote:
> On 5/24/06, Matthew Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 03:45:26PM +1000, nornagon wrote:
> >> Python and Ruby are in many ways very similar.
> >
> >Where does this idea come from?  Perl and Ruby are much closer, in my mind
>
> Well, yes - perl and ruby are similar. Because ruby draws on perl for
> many of its concepts. Note that I didn't say "python and ruby are
> closer than perl and ruby", though. :)

Point.  But I can't think of too many similarities that Python and Ruby
share that aren't also shared by a host of other languages, so I still don't
know why everyone keeps on comparing them -- and I've asked this question
before, and I've never gotten a good answer.  I'm starting to suspect that
people are just repeating what they've heard instead of actually sitting
down and thinking about it for themselves.

> >In fact, I can think of few things *worse* than an S&R meeting -- it'd
> >either
> >be inflammatory sniping about the percieved or actual deficiencies in each
> >other's languages, or anaemic acknowledgement of the other's virtues.
> >Neither sounds like a fun way to spend an evening to me.
>
> Aw, come on, flamewars are fun <g>

No, they're not.  Productive disagreements are great, but pointless
bickering just sours people to each others' viewpoints.

> >Personally, I think the general OSDC-style evening would probably be best
> >--
> >especially if we can get some interesting talks on niche languages (or the
> >term I heard today -- "stretch languages"[1]) to get people interested in
> >what else is out there.
>
> Once again, why subvert the infrastructure already in place? Codefests ftw.
>
> I do like your idea about stretch languages, though... I'd love to get
> someone talking about smalltalk or ocaml next codefest. :)

Codefests are all day events, with a lot of different things going on.  An
OSDC-style SIG would be more structured, with a particular focus, and would
probably be a couple of hours in an evening instead of a whole day (which is
often hard for a lot of people to get to -- I know I've only been able to
get to one in about the past 18 months).

- Matt

--
<liw> hut.fi has or used to have two nfs servers not-responding and
still-trying... don't know if their dns server was not-found... 4o4 would be