On Tuesday 30 May 2006 06:56, Erik de Castro Lopo allegedly wrote:
> Benno wrote:
> > Just so you know what we are up against...
>
>     http://lists.slug.org.au/archives/activities/2006/05/msg00079.html
>
> Back on the main list because many people aren't on activities list.
>
> So first off, who are they targeting here? I'd say it was the computer
> science and computer engineering students. They are obviously trying
> to get students hooked on satan's crack before they leave uni.

You're worried about a few free handouts, when students can illegally obtain
nearly any software for next to no cost? (*)

Australia's institutions of higher learning (among others ... hello government
at all levels) are quite happy to send AUS$ to an overseas company, and they
don't need a free BBQ to entrench this behavior into their students.

(*) Everyone one is happy with individual copyright infringement, it
encourages vendor lock-in (people aren't forced to look at alternatives) and
it makes defacto criminals out of a lot of undesirables thus making it real
easy to get a "search and seizure" warrant and effectively hobble any
organization reliant on computers in any way.

  Having said that, any activity which raises the profile of Linux is a good
thing.

Cheers,
Malcolm V.
--
He who has imagination without learning has wings but no feet.